Translate

Thursday, August 6, 2015

CRYSTAL CATHEDRAL TO CHRIST CATHEDRAL AND BAPTIZING A PROTESTANT, SHOWMANSHIP LEGACY

The clairvoyant that I am, I can remember watching the Rev. Robert Schuller on his "Hour of Power" television show and some of the worship and antics at the Crystal Cathedral which I use to spell in a snarky way, The Krystal Kathedral. I think southerners know what I was copying.   Cheesy and greasy!

But back to my clairvoyance, I thought to myself, self, how wierd would it be if the Krystal Kathedral became an Catholic Cathedral one day. And you know the rest of the story and I rest my case!

I am still amazed that the Krystal Kathedral is becoming Christ's Roman Catholic Cathedral! 
 
This is a well produced video that the late Rev. Robert Shuller would like:

This video gives images of what is to come:
Christ Cathedral: A Transformation from Christ Cathedral on Vimeo.

6 comments:

John Nolan said...

Joseph Paxton's revolutionary design for a building to house the Great Exhibition of 1851 was much derided at the time; when 'Punch' dubbed it the 'Crystal Palace' it was not meant as a compliment. Relocated from Hyde Park to Sydenham after the Exhibition closed, it was a much-loved landmark until it burned down in 1936.

Christ Cathedral is an example of good modern architecture. The main fault of modern liturgical design is that the symbolism can be too obviously contrived and overblown. You know what I mean: 'Let's replace the baptismal font with something the size of a swimming-pool and make it shaped like a fish, with a really cool water-feature thrown in.' If they can avoid this sort of thing, fine.

qwikness said...

I've always liked the light that comes into the Crystal Cathedral. I've tried to watching the Hour of Power but can never take more than five minutes of it.

Anonymous said...

Jesus was baptized, not in something the size of a swimming pool, but in a river - a REALLY cool water feature. Seems to have been OK with him and his cousin...

Michael (Quicumque Vult) said...

Qwikness, find the recording of Fulton Sheen on the Hour of Power. You'll watch it all. ;)

Michael (Quicumque Vult) said...

Jesus' baptism was not a sacrament, Anonymous. In fact, Jesus' baptism, being administered as it was by John, was not even the *true* baptism, but a precursor of the baptism to be preached by Christ. And even if river baptism is okay in certain circumstances (Peter baptized people in a river, if I recall), that doesn't mean things like that are good for most occasions.

qwikness said...

I've seen Fulton Sheen. It is good. Real theatrical how he stood with that quarter turn and gave his monologue. And that chalk board, not to mention writing in cursive.