Translate

Thursday, November 22, 2012

GIVING THANKS FOR DECEASED FAMILY MEMBERS WHOM I HOPE ARE IN HEAVEN GIVING THANKS TO GOD THIS DAY WITH THE CHURCH ON EARTH DOING THE SAME!

My first cousin Archibald Duncan in "Sandyfied" Long Island sent these scanned pictures yesterday and a brief family tree of my father's side of his family.

The first picture is my grandfather, my father's father, who died in 1937--I can see where I get my rugged, handsome good looks! (Actually he resembles my first cousin Duncan when he was young.) I don't recall ever seeing this photo of him so young. Also, I had no idea that my grandfather died on the same day and date of my mother's birthday party in Livorno, Italy on October 18, 1937 when she turned 18 years old but my father didn't marry her until December 1,1945 !

The second image is of me taken yesterday, so that you can compare it to my grandfather and my father below it; the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree? I don't know.

The third image is of my father and his father on the Empire State Building around 1933. My father had moved to New York from Detroit, by way of Judique, Cape Breton (Nova Scotia) around 1930 or shortly after the Great Depression began, which closed down Ford Motor's Aircraft division in Detroit (where my father shook hands with Amelia Earhart who was at the factory to look at a plane to buy!)

The fourth image is a basic family tree of my grandfather and his children (all from Cape Breton). Another tidbit of information, and I believe this is correct, my stepgrandmother, Mary McMaster is related to Buddy McMaster the famous fiddle player from Judique, Nova Scotia. His family continues his grand tradition. I can remember as a teenager visiting Judique with my dad Buddy McMaster playing the fiddle with his daughter accompanying him on the piano at their home in Judique!

The Fifth image is of Buddy McMaster.

The sixth image is my mother and me on the Amalfi Coast south of Napoli!











3 comments:

rcg said...

It is always interesting to read about people's history. Buddy MacMaster's niece is the famous fiddler Natalie MacMaster. She has an album, 'My Roots Are Showing' wherein the two play together. You have to wonder, too, what you Dad and Grand Dad thought about things like New York, Empire State Building, etc.

Anonymous said...

Yesterday, huh?

William Meyer said...

I suppose we could say that the second was taken "some yesterday". As in And all our yesterdays have lighted fools....